Tuesday, May 26, 2020

things we've lost in water

I’d like to believe that back in the 70s no home (in Kelantan at least) is complete without those scary mounted taxidermy. Say hello to me in 1977 in the loving arms of my late Baba and sitting upfront is my late Bak (grandfather).



We lost a lot of old photos over the years, mostly from some floods (not the ones in Kota Bharu, but in KL - Jalan Tun Razak was notorious with flash floods back then). So whenever my siblings dig out old photos I get chills. Bak’s house was a treasure trove for a kid like me - a wooden maze with countless windows and an open air patio INSIDE the house itself. Despite having an open air patio the house was never burglarised and flood season (musim bah) is the best because the house will be so cool and you’ll get a natural swimming pool outside your home for weeks! Ah good times. 

May Allah bless the souls of these magnificent men in my life for without them I would not be who I am now.

Note: Nobody died from bah, no toxic waste/diseases to fear from, not like now.

No comments: