Thursday, March 30, 2017

remembering Amri

While i was in Japan, Amri Ruhayat, writer extraordinaire, friend, passed away.

My little homage:

Saddened to hear about the passing of our dear friend Amri Rohayat today. We all have our stories to tell about him, his selflessness to help others (including mine) and he was like a magnet that people just gravitate to. His sarcasm and wittiness used to annoy me but this what made Amri so special, to each one of us.
I am in Japan now, thinking about how at one time I ruined an interview at Media Prima, the one he set up for me because I was desperately looking for another job. He laughed heartily because I couldn't answer the final question -- "what is your aspiration?" because I was confused with inspiration vs. aspiration. I'm also thinking about the time I keep losing at Scrabble whenever I play with him, because who am I kidding? Amri is a freaking walking dictionary!
You can rest now, dear Amri. You have done so much throughout your colourful life. You are the only person I know in this world who keeps on giving and giving until the very end. 

Al-Fatihah.
إِنَّا لِلَّهِ وَإِنَّا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعُونَ

Note: Got a reply from his sister: "He played Scrabbles with our father since he was 8." :(

Also got to know that an old friend Ja'a has passed away recently as well. May Allah place them amongst the Most Beloved.

No comments: