Friday, July 13, 2012

The Bee(p)


I’ve kept the draft since last week now all the angst to write a review about The Bee is gone. Oh well.

So, listen. Initially when my boss suggested The Bee, I said let’s check out the one at Publika because a) I’ve never been to Publika b) I’ve never been Publika. But she wanted to go to Jaya One instead. Fine, what boss wants, boss gets.
Sure, I’ve read reviews about the place (like what I always do before trying a new place to eat) – nice set-up, great burgers, blah blah blah but no mention of the service. On twitter, yes.

Unfortunately we didn’t enjoy our lunch there. Departmental lunches are never fun anyway (tsk) but when a restaurant can’t even get our reservation (we requested to sit indoor) and orders correct, you know someone is bound to throw a hissy fit there and then i.e. my boss. They also missed out on a colleague’s order (poor guy was so hungry!). I ordered the Bee Burger, I don’t know, it was “biasa-biasa jer”. I’ve tasted better burgers at La Bodega or Dome or Delicious I suppose. And how dare they serve watered-down Coke!

I get why The Bee is extremely popular. It’s a good lepak place to be seen at. Who cares about the food when patrons only care about good coffee and free WiFi. The interior has the workings of the boring formula like Artisan Coffee – sit on a crate, different types of chairs and tables you know the drill – which left me wondering, are restaurateurs trying to save money by opting for this sort of design? Or do they assume the younger generations would prefer a mismatched/kitschy setting as opposed to cozy and color synchronized seatings?

Enough about the Bee. I’m sorry I couldn’t offer anything great about this place. Anyway, here are my current top 5 makan-makan place:
· Food Foundry
· Sushi Zanmai
· Basil
· Plan B
· Serai, Empire Gallery


Intern getting nervous being interrogated.


The Bee Burger


What we had for dessert. /sadface