Sunday, March 09, 2008

Results out, Alhamdulillah, it's a joyous day indeed for us.


Anyway, after lunch yesterday I took my nieces to OU to buy Anis' birthday present
(nasib baik dia pilih handbag yang tidak terlalu mahal untuk makciknya bayar) and my standard 4 niece Ameera pula mahu ke bookshop untuk membeli buku.

As an auntie with no children it's excellent news bila the kids are starting to show interest in reading. So we went to MPH. Took her to the tweens section, coz i was assuming that she wanted to get chick lits ke apa. Setelah hampir setengah jam browsing dan buku dicari tidak dijumpai, I had to ask the dreaded question: "Buku Bahasa Melayu ke?". She said yes. Huwaaa ingatkan buku bahasa Inggeris!

Had to go to the service counter and gave the name of the book xxxxxx xxxxxxxx and made the stupidest remark: "Er,I think it's a Malay book.". *tepuk dahi* Apparently the book sold out. Wow! Buku apakah ini yang menjadi kegilaan kanak2 semua? Mengapa buku-buku jenis ini amat hodoh sekali ilustrasi-nya? Wait a minute, bukan aku kenal ke orang yang kerja di publication house ini?

To look on the bright side, at least she wants to read. That's a good start. Suatu ketika dulu aku pernah berjaya to get my eldest nephew Dan interested in reading Harry Potter. Tapi itu sebelum suara dia pecah and he discovered that it's cooler to be interested in girls than some boy on a broom stick. Ameero, the 2nd nephew pula (sorry aku mmg ramai anak buah) suka baca suratkhabar - yeah try explaining to a kid apa maksud seks rambang and other things you find in the news haha. Antara banyak2 anak2 buah Cik Nate, only Adyra reads in English (she needs to get out of her High School Musical phase fast).


Dalam erti kata lain, my kempen membaca masih belum berjaya.

I try to remember how I got interested in reading when I was a kid but as a kid i never liked hanging out with the kids in Kg Bharu anyway (they're vicious - mereka main masak2 dengan membakar seekor goldfish sehingga hangus) jadi books were my only retreat. Besides, having parents yang juga ulat buku was an added advantage. Hmm.

I'm gonna go look for the book for my niece today. I'm gonna read it first, see if it's any good. ;)

No comments: