Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I've been wanting to write about this story lama dah. well, since the article came out.
you see, my parents, particularly my mother always tell me that my middle name Natasya comes from a movie about a particular female Russian soldier
yang bernama Natasha. Growing up, i just accept the story as it is, i mean come on, surely cerita ini direka oleh my parents. i am so sheltered as an anak perempuan bongsu, you have no idea. they like to romanticize things - including how masa my mom mengandungkan saya they went to see King Kong and they kept saying thank God i came out non-hairy with a beautiful nose (a perfect symmetrical lie : King Kong came out in 1933, not 1977).
i've searched high-and-lo for the movie about Natasha but never found it.
until this article came out about a guy
nama Amy Natasha:


an excerpt:
"Menyingkap sejarah di sebalik namanya, ibu Amy, Azizah Mohd Ibrahim, 55, berkata nama Natasha dipilih selepas beliau dan arwah suami, Norhuda, menonton filem perang Russia sekitar 1978 yang memaparkan ketangkasan watak pegawai tentera wanita, dikenali sebagai Leftenan Natasha".

So the movie does exist! And my parents weren't lying after all! Weird coincidence kan. I was in Pulau Ketam masa tu and my sister texted me asking me to read the story. Rasa macam nak balik waktu itu juga and hug my mom and tell her i'm sorry! For the past 30 years I thought you were lying about my name!

:)

I cant wait to see my mother today. She said she missed me while i was away in SG and that was the best thing a daughter could hear from her mother.

trivia: my parents also said my grandmother suggested naming me nanie natasya. can you imagine nama gua NANIE NATASYA !!?! *giggles*

No comments: